A Modified Vitrectomy Technique for Macular Hole-Related Retinal Detachment
Corresponding author: Dr. Hui Chen, Eye Institute, Affiliated Hospital of Nantong University, 20 Xisi Road, Nantong, Jiangsu, 226001, China, Tel: +86-13809082586; Fax: +86-513-85519820; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
BBG: Brilliant Blue G Dye;
PFCL: Perfluorocarbon Liquid;
MHRD: Macular Hole-Related Retinal Detachment;
OCT: Optical Coherence Tomography;
ICG: Indocyanine Green;
TA: Triamcinolone Acetonide;
TB: Trypan Blue;
PVC: Posterior Vitreous Cortex;
ERM: Epiretinal Membranes;
LP: Laser photocoagulation
Intraoperative photographs of BBG dye guided ILM peeling under PFCL in MH-RD surgery.
Figure A, BBG was spread onto the surface of macula to stain it. Figure B, PFCL (arrow) was placed onto the posterior retina to relocate and fix the detached retina, and displace the subretinal fluid anteriorly. Figure C, ILM (arrow) around the macular hole was removed from an areausing a vitreous pics forceps.
3.Yoshinori O, Kazuyuki E. Incidence of fellow eye retinal detachment resulting from macular hole. Am J Ophthalmol. 2007, 143(2): 203–205.
8. Wolfensberger TJ, Gonvers M. Long-term follow-up of retinal detachment due to macular hole in myopic eyes treated by temporary silicone oil tamponade and laser photocoagulation. Ophthalmology. 1999, 106(9): 1786–1791.
9.Ling H, Yu-liang W, Qing-zi J. Clinical observation of Brilliant blue G assisted internal limiting membrane peeling in the treatment of idiopathic macular holes. J Clin Ophthalmol. 2013, 21: 229–232.
13. Sippy BD, Engelbrecht NE, Hubbard GB, Moriarty SE, Jiang S et al. Indocyanine green effect on cultured human retinal pigment epithelial cells: implication for macular hole surgery. Am J Ophthalmol.2001, 132(3): 433–435.
14. Gandorfer A, Haritoglou C, Gass CA, Ulbig MW, Kampik A et al. Indocyanine green-assisted peeling of the internal limiting membrane may cause retinal damage. Am J Ophthalmol. 2001, 132(3): 431–433.
18. Shoji Notomi, Toshio Hisatomi, Takaaki Kanemaru, Atsunobu Takeda, Yasuhiro Ikeda et al. Critical involvement of extracellular ATP acting on P2RX7 purinergic receptors in photoreceptor cell death. Am J Patholol. 2011, 179(6): 2798– 2809.
19. Baba T, Hagiwara A, Sato E, Arai M, Oshitari T et al. Comparison of vitrectomy with brilliant blue G or indocyanine green on retinal microstructure and function of eyes with macular hole. Ophthalmology. 2012, 119(2): 2609–2615.
20. Fukuda K, Shiraga F, Yamaji H, Nomoto H, Shiragami C et al. Morphologic and functional advantages of macular hole surgery with brilliant blue G-assisted internal limiting membrane peeling. Retina. 2011, 31(8): 1720–1725.
21. Kumar A, Gogia V, Shah VM, Nag TC. Comparative evaluation of anatomical and functional outcomes using brilliant blue G versus triamcinolone assisted ILM peeling in macular hole surgery in Indian population. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2011, 249(7): 987–995.
23. U Stolba, S Binder, M Velikay, P Datlinger, A Wedrich et al. Use of perfluorocarbon liquids in proliferative vitreoretinopathy: results and complications. Br J Ophthalmol. 1995, 79(12): 1106–1110.
24. Carroll BF, Peyman GA, Mehta NJ, Millsap CM, Greve MD et al. Repair of retinal detachment associated with proliferative vitreoretinopathy using perfluoroperhydrophenanthrene (Vitreon). Can J Ophthalmol. 1994, 29(2): 66–69.
26. Rizzo S, Belting C, Genovesi-Ebert F, Vento A, Cresti F et al. Modified technique for safer indocyanine-green-assisted peeling of the internal limiting membrane during vitrectomy for macular hole repair. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2006, 244(12): 1615–1619.
27. J Brazitikos PD, Androudi S, Dimitrakos SA, Stangos NT. Removal of the internal limiting membrane under perfluorocarbon liquid to treat macular-hole-associated retinal detachment. Am J Ophthalmol. 2003, 135(6): 894-896.
29. Quiroz-Mercado H, Guerrero-Naranjo J, Agurto-Rivera R, Leizaola-Fernández C, Suárez-Tatá L et al. Perfluorocarbonperfused
vitrectomy: a new method for vitrectomy-a safety and feasibility study. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2005, 243(6): 551–562.
30. Nishimura A, Kimura M, Saito Y, Sugiyama K. Effiacy of primary silicone oil tamponade for the treatment of retinal detachment caused by macular hole in high myopia. Am J Ophthalmol. 2011,151(1): 148–155.
31. Xie A, Lei J. Pars plana vitrectomy and silicone oil tamponade as a primary treatment for retinal detachment caused by macular holes in highly myopic eyes: a risk-factor analysis. Curr Eye Res. 2013, 38(1):108–113.
32. Yamamoto N, Ozaki N, Murakami K. Triamcinolone acetonide facilitates removal of the epiretinal membrane and separation of the residual vitreous cortex in highly myopic eyes with retinal detachment due to a macular hole. Ophthalmologica. 2004, 218(4): 248–256.
33. X Fang, X Zheng, Y Weng1, Z Chen1, J Liu1 et al. Anatomical and visual outcome after vitrectomy with triamcinolone acedonide-assisted epiretinal membrane removal in highly myopic eyes with retinal detachment due to macular hole. Eye (Lond). 2009, 23: 248–254.
38. Lam RF, Lai WW, Cheung BT, Yuen CY, Wong TH et al. Pars plana vitrectomy and perfluoropropane (C3F8) tamponade for retinal detachment due to myopic macular hole: a prognostic factor analysis. Am J Ophthalmol. 2006, 142(6): 938–944.
39. Oie Y, Emi K, Takaoka G, Ikeda T. Effect of indocyanine green staining in peeling of internal limiting membrane for retinal detachment resulting from macular hole in myopic eyes. Ophthalmology. 2007, 114(2): 303–306.
40. Balaiya S, Brar VS, Murthy RK, Chalam KV. Comparative in vitro safety analysis of dyes for chromovitrectomy: indocyanine green, brilliant blue green, bromophenol blue, and infracyanine green. Retina. 2011, 31(6): 1128–1136.
42. Yu J, Wang F, Cao H, Fan Y, Zhang X et al. Combination of internal limiting membrane peeling and endophotocoagulation for retinal detachment related to high myopia in patients with macular hole. Ophthal Surg Las Im. 2010, 41(2): 215– 221.