Jacobs Journal of Neurology and Neuroscience

The Multi-Target Therapy Approach to Stop Multiple Sclerosis Progression

Published on: 2018-05-19

Abstract

Background: Multiple Sclerosis (MS) is one of the neurodegenerative diseases that have caught the most attention in the last 4 decades. Although there are several treatments to stop progression, none of them has been designed specifically for this disease until now. Each of these treatments has only one action mechanism and is an immunomodulator or immunosupressor with varying results with frequent collateral effects. Here is described the first oral Multi-Target Treatment (MTT) specifically designed to halt disease progression. The MTT consists of four substances that have a synergistic effect in controlling the most important known mechanisms of disease progression: aberrant apoptosis, oxidative damage, mitochondrial degeneration, caspase activation, syncytin-mediated neuroinflammation, and Mitogen-Activated Protein-Kinases activation.

Results: 33 patients with MS were treated with the MTT only, age 19 to 60 years (mean 37.12 years, SD +/-12.05), 19 female (57.6%), 14 male (42.4%). The basal Expanded Disability Status Scale (EDSS) score was 0-8 (mean 2.43, SD +/- 2.47). Maximum follow-up period was 94 months, mean 40.7 months. There were 13 patients (39.39 %) that improved their basal EDSS score and 17 patients (51.51%) had no increase in their EDSS score during the follow up period. Overall, 30 patients (90.9%) remained with the same or better EDSS score during the follow up. The mean EDSS at 64 months of follow up remained at 2.7 (n=11). The EDSS was worse in 3 patients (9 %). In the subgroup where progressive variants were excluded (n=26), there were 12 patients (46.2%) that improved their basal EDSS score and 14 patients (53.8%) had no increase in their EDSS score. None of the patients in this subgroup had a worse EDSS score in the follow up period. The mean basal EDSS was 0 to 8 (mean 1.9), and at 64 month of follow up was 0.8 (n=7) versus an expected deterioration in EDSS of 3.5 points at 64 months, as calculated by the progression index established in historic MS patients. At 76 months of follow up, the mean EDSS score was 0.25 (n=4). No adverse effects were observed while using the MTT.

Conclusions: The Multi-Target Therapy here described is a promising treatment that may stop the progression of MS.

Keywords

Multi-Target Therapy, Multiple Sclerosis, Disease modifying treatment, Clinical stabilization, Apoptosis, Neuroprotection, Neurodegeneration