The Use of Dietary and Caloric Restriction Models for Improved Cardio-Metabolic Health
1. Smolak L. National Eating Disorders Association/next door neighbors puppet guide book. Seattle, WA: National Eating Disorders Association. 1996.
3. Overweight & Obesity – Data & Statistics 2015
5. Cha E, Akazawa MK, Kim KH, Dawkins CR, Lerner HM, Umpierrez G, et al. Lifestyle habits and obesity progression in overweight and obese American young adults: Lessons for promoting cardiometabolic health. Nurs Health Sci. 2015, 17(4): 467-475.
6. Karaderi T, Drong AW, Lindgren CM. Insights into the genetic susceptibility to type 2 diabetes from genome-wide association studies of obesity-related traits. Current diabetes reports. 2015, 15(10): 1-12.
10. Luo JS, Chen SK, Fan X, Tang Q, Feng Y. Prevalence of hypertension and relationship between hypertension and obesity in children and adolescents in Nanning of Guangxi Province. Zhongguo Dang Dai Er Ke Za Zhi. 2014, 16(10): 1040-1044.
13. Pleava R, Gaita D, Ardeleanu C, Frentz S, Udrescu M, Udrescu L, et al. Obesity in association with Sleep Apnea Syndrome as predictor for coronary-vascular comorbidities. Pneumologia. 2016, 65(1): 14-18.
14. Mongraw-Chaffin ML, Peters SA, Huxley RR, Woodward M. The sex-specific association between BMI and coronary heart disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis of 95 cohorts with 1• 2 million participants. The lancet Diabetes & endocrinology. 2015, 3(6): 437-449.
17. Tangney CC, Gustashaw KA, Stefan TM, Sullivan C, Ventrelle J, Filipowski CA, et al. A review: which dietary plan is best for your patients seeking weight loss and sustained weight management? Dis Mon. 2005, 51(5): 284-316.
21. Gregory S, Bloomer RJ. The Daniel Cure: The Daniel Fast Way to Vibrant Health. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Zondervan, 2013.
22. Lin JS, O’Connor E, Evans CV, Senger CA, Rowland MG, Groom HC. Behavioral counseling to promote a healthy lifestyle in persons with cardiovascular risk factors: a systematic review for the US Preventive Services Task Force. Ann Intern Med. 2014;161(8): 568-578.
24. Minihane AM, Vinoy S, Russell WR, Baka A, Roche HM, Tuohy KM, et al. Low-grade inflammation, diet composition and health: current research evidence and its translation. Br J Nutr. 2015, 114(07): 999-1012.
25. Greenberg I, Stampfer MJ, Schwarzfuchs D, Shai I. Adherence and success in long-term weight loss diets: the dietary intervention randomized controlled trial (DIRECT). J Am Coll Nutr. 2009, 28(2): 159-168.
26. Rochon J, Bales CW, Ravussin E, Redman LM, Holloszy JO, Racette SB, et al. Design and conduct of the CALERIE study: comprehensive assessment of the long-term effects of reducing intake of energy. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2011, 66(1): 97-108.
28. Trepanowski JF, Canale RE, Marshall KE, Kabir MM, Bloomer RJ. Impact of caloric and dietary restriction regimens on markers of health and longevity in humans and animals: a summary of available findings. Nutrition journal. 2011, 10(1): 1.
31. Harvie MN, Pegington M, Mattson MP, Frystyk J, Dillon B, Evans G, et al. The effects of intermittent or continuous energy restriction on weight loss and metabolic disease risk markers: a randomized trial in young overweight women. Int J Obes. 2011, 35(5): 714-727.
32. van Gemert WA, Schuit AJ, van der Palen J, May AM, Iestra JA, Wittink H, et al. Effect of weight loss, with or without exercise, on body composition and sex hormones in postmenopausal women: the SHAPE-2 trial. Breast cancer research. 2015, 17(1): 1.
33. Pedersen LR, Olsen RH, Jürs A, Anholm C, Fenger M, Haugaard SB, et al. A randomized trial comparing the effect of weight loss and exercise training on insulin sensitivity and glucose metabolism in coronary artery disease. Metab Clin Exp. 2015, 64(10): 1298-1307.
34. Weiss EP, Albert SG, Reeds DN, Kress KS, Ezekiel UR, McDaniel JL, et al. Calorie Restriction and Matched Weight Loss From Exercise: Independent and Additive Effects on Glucoregulation and the Incretin System in Overweight Women and Men. Diabetes Care. 2015, 38(7): 1253-1262.
35. Keogh J, Pedersen E, Petersen K, Clifton P. Effects of intermittent compared to continuous energy restriction on short‐term weight loss and long‐term weight loss maintenance. Clinical obesity. 2014, 4(3): 150-156.
36. Redman LM, Heilbronn LK, Martin CK, De Jonge L, Williamson DA, Delany JP, et al. Metabolic and behavioral compensations in response to caloric restriction: implications for the maintenance of weight loss. PloS one. 2009, 4(2): e4377.
39. Lee KP, Simpson SJ, Clissold FJ, Brooks R, Ballard JW, Taylor PW, et al. Lifespan and reproduction in Drosophila: New insights from nutritional geometry. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008, 105(7): 2498-2503.
42. Mattison JA, Roth GS, Beasley TM, Tilmont EM, Handy AM, Herbert RL, et al. Impact of caloric restriction on health and survival in rhesus monkeys from the NIA study. Nature. 2012, 489(7415): 318-321.
44. Rezzi S, Martin FJ, Shanmuganayagam D, Colman RJ, Nicholson JK, Weindruch R. Metabolic shifts due to long-term caloric restriction revealed in nonhuman primates. Exp Gerontol. 2009, 44(5): 356-362.
46. Diane A, Kupreeva M, Borthwick F, Proctor SD, Pierce WD, Vine DF. Cardiometabolic and reproductive benefits of early dietary energy restriction and voluntary exercise in an obese PCOS-prone rodent model. J Endocrinol. 2015, 226(3):193-206.
48. Garcia-Prieto C, Pulido-Olmo H, Ruiz-Hurtado G, Gil-Ortega M, Aranguez I, Rubio M, et al. Mild caloric restriction reduces blood pressure and activates endothelial AMPK-PI3K-Akt-eNOS pathway in obese Zucker rats. Vascular pharmacology. 2015, 65: 3-12.
51. Kawahara EI, Maués, Nadine Helena Pelegrino Bastos, Santos KCd, Barbanera PO, Braga CP, Fernandes AAH. Energy restriction and impact on indirect calorimetry and oxidative stress in cardiac tissue in rat. . 2014., 51(5):365-371.
52. Yuanyuan W, Minghua J, Lina Z, Suhua L, Jiayu Z, Yongzhi S, et al. Effect of a combination of calorie-restriction therapy and Lingguizhugan decoction on levels of fasting blood lipid and inflammatory cytokines in a high-fat diet induced hyperlipidemia rat model. Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine. 2015, 35(2): 218-221.
53. Banke NH, Yan L, Pound KM, Dhar S, Reinhardt H, De Lorenzo MS, et al. Sexual dimorphism in cardiac triacylglyceride dynamics in mice on long term caloric restriction. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2012, 52(3): 733-740.
54. Chen J, Ouyang C, Ding Q, Song J, Cao W, Mao L. A moderate low-carbohydrate low-calorie diet improves lipid profile, insulin sensitivity and adiponectin expression in rats. Nutrients. 2015, 7(6): 4724-4738.
56. Louala S, Benyahia-Mostefaoui A, Lamri-Senhadji MY. Energy restriction reduces oxidative stress in the aorta and heart and corrects the atherogenic risk in obese rat. Ann Cardiol Angeiol (Paris). 2013, 62(3): 155-160.
57. Donato AJ, Walker AE, Magerko KA, Bramwell RC, Black AD, Henson GD, et al. Life‐long caloric restriction reduces oxidative stress and preserves nitric oxide bioavailability and function in arteries of old mice. Aging Cell. 2013, 12(5): 772-783.
58. Dhahbi JM, Tsuchiya T, Kim HJ, Mote PL, Spindler SR. Gene expression and physiologic responses of the heart to the initiation and withdrawal of caloric restriction. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2006, 61(3): 218-231.
59. Csiszar A, Gautam T, Sosnowska D, Tarantini S, Banki E, Tucsek Z, et al. Caloric restriction confers persistent anti-oxidative, pro-angiogenic, and anti-inflammatory effects and promotes anti-aging miRNA expression profile in cerebromicrovascular endothelial cells of aged rats. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2014, 307(3): H292-H306.
61. Hyun DH, Emerson SS, Jo DG, Mattson MP, de Cabo R. Calorie restriction up-regulates the plasma membrane redox system in brain cells and suppresses oxidative stress during aging. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006 Dec 26, 103(52):19908-19912.
63. 63. Sierra Rojas JX, Garcia-San Frutos M, Horrillo D, Lauzurica N, Oliveros E, Carrascosa JM, et al. Differential Development of Inflammation and Insulin Resistance in Different Adipose Tissue Depots Along Aging in Wistar Rats: Effects of Caloric Restriction. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2016 Mar;71(3):310-322.
64. Pires RC, Souza EE, Vanzela EC, Ribeiro RA, Silva-Santos JC, Carneiro EM, et al. Short-term calorie restriction improves glucose homeostasis in old rats: involvement of AMPK. Applied physiology, nutrition, and metabolism. 2014;39(8):895-901.
68. Zotova AV, Desyatova IE, Bychenko SM, Sivertseva SA, Okonechnikova NS et al. The efficacy of low calorie diet therapy in patients with arterial hypertension and chronic cerebral ischemia. Zh Nevrol Psikhiatr Im S S Korsakova. 2015;115(10):25-28.
69. Piacenza F, Malavolta M, Basso A, Costarelli L, Giacconi R, Ravussin E, et al. Effect of 6-month caloric restriction on Cu bound to ceruloplasmin in adult overweight subjects. J Nutr Biochem. 2015;26(8):876-882.
70. Saxton JM, Scott EJ, Daley AJ, Woodroofe MN, Mutrie N, Crank H, et al. Effects of an exercise and hypocaloric healthy eating intervention on indices of psychological health status, hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis regulation and immune function after early-stage breast cancer: a randomised controlled trial. Breast Cancer Research. 2014;16(2):3643.
71. Martin CK, Das SK, Lindblad L, Racette SB, McCrory MA, Weiss EP, et al. Effect of calorie restriction on the free-living physical activity levels of nonobese humans: results of three randomized trials. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2011 Apr;110(4):956-963.
72. Zulet MA, Bondia-Pons I, Abete I, Iglesia Rdl, Lopez-Legarrea P, Forga L, et al. The reduction of the metabolyc syndrome in Navarra-Spain (RESMENA-S) study; a multidisciplinary strategy based on chrononutrition and nutritional education, together with dietetic and psychological control. 2011, 26(1): 16-26
74. Larson-Meyer DE, Newcomer BR, Heilbronn LK, Volaufova J, Smith SR, Alfonso AJ, et al. Effect of 6-month calorie restriction and exercise on serum and liver lipids and markers of liver function. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2008 Jun;16(6):1355-1362.
75. Fontana L, Villareal DT, Weiss EP, Racette SB, Steger-May K, Klein S, et al. Calorie restriction or exercise: effects on coronary heart disease risk factors. A randomized, controlled trial. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2007 Jul;293(1):E197-202.
77. Redman LM, Heilbronn LK, Martin CK, Alfonso A, Smith SR, Ravussin E, et al. Effect of calorie restriction with or without exercise on body composition and fat distribution. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2007 Mar;92(3):865-872.
78. Weiss EP, Racette SB, Villareal DT, Fontana L, Steger-May K, Schechtman KB, et al. Lower extremity muscle size and strength and aerobic capacity decrease with caloric restriction but not with exercise-induced weight loss. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2007 Feb;102(2):634-640.
79. Racette SB, Weiss EP, Villareal DT, Arif H, Steger-May K, Schechtman KB, et al. One year of caloric restriction in humans: feasibility and effects on body composition and abdominal adipose tissue. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2006 Sep;61(9):943-950.
80. Pittas AG, Das SK, Hajduk CL, Golden J, Saltzman E, Stark PC, et al. A low-glycemic load diet facilitates greater weight loss in overweight adults with high insulin secretion but not in overweight adults with low insulin secretion in the CALERIE Trial. Diabetes Care. 2005 Dec;28(12):2939-2941.
81. Ravussin E, Redman LM, Rochon J, Das SK, Fontana L, Kraus WE, et al. A 2-Year Randomized Controlled Trial of Human Caloric Restriction: Feasibility and Effects on Predictors of Health Span and Longevity. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2015 Sep;70(9):1097-1104.
83. Fontana L, Klein S, Holloszy JO, Premachandra BN. Effect of long-term calorie restriction with adequate protein and micronutrients on thyroid hormones. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 2006;91(8):3232-3235.
85. Heymsfield SB, Thomas D, Martin CK, Redman LM, Strauss B, Bosy-Westphal A, et al. Energy content of weight loss: kinetic features during voluntary caloric restriction. Metab Clin Exp. 2012;61(7):937-943.
86. Grossi E, Dalle Grave R, Mannucci E, Molinari E, Compare A, Cuzzolaro M, et al. Complexity of attrition in the treatment of obesity: clues from a structured telephone interview. Int J Obes. 2006;30(7):1132-1137.
89. Descamps O, Riondel J, Ducros V, Roussel A. Mitochondrial production of reactive oxygen species and incidence of age-associated lymphoma in OF1 mice: effect of alternate-day fasting. Mech Ageing Dev. 2005;126(11):1185-1891.
90. Duan W, Guo Z, Jiang H, Ware M, Mattson MP. Reversal of behavioral and metabolic abnormalities, and insulin resistance syndrome, by dietary restriction in mice deficient in brain-derived neurotrophic factor. Endocrinology. 2003;144(6):2446-2453.
92. Mager DE, Wan R, Brown M, Cheng A, Wareski P, Abernethy DR, et al. Caloric restriction and intermittent fasting alter spectral measures of heart rate and blood pressure variability in rats. FASEB J. 2006 Apr;20(6):631-637.
93. Wan R, Camandola S, Mattson MP. Intermittent fasting and dietary supplementation with 2-deoxy-D-glucose improve functional and metabolic cardiovascular risk factors in rats. FASEB journal. 2003;17(9):1133-1134.
95. Yang W, Cao M, Mao X, Wei X, Li X, Chen G, et al. Alternate-day fasting protects the livers of mice against high-fat diet–induced inflammation associated with the suppression of Toll-like receptor 4/nuclear factor κB signaling. Nutr Res. 2016;36(6):586-593.
96. Castello L, Froio T, Maina M, Cavallini G, Biasi F, Leonarduzzi G, et al. Alternate-day fasting protects the rat heart against age-induced inflammation and fibrosis by inhibiting oxidative damage and NF-kB activation. Free Radical Biology and Medicine. 2010;48(1):47-54.
97. Vasconcelos AR, Yshii LM, Viel TA, Buck HS, Mattson MP, Scavone C, et al. Intermittent fasting attenuates lipopolysaccharide-induced neuroinflammation and memory impairment. Journal of neuroinflammation. 2014;11(1):11-85.
100. Zhang J, Huang Y, Ke B, Liu L, Shangguan J, Meng J, et al. Effect of alternate-day fasting therapy combined with Linggui Zhugan Decoction (苓桂术甘汤) on hepatic oxidative stress in hyperlipidemic rat. Chinese journal of integrative medicine. 2015:1-6.
102. Carlson O, Martin B, Stote KS, Golden E, Maudsley S, Najjar SS, et al. Impact of reduced meal frequency without caloric restriction on glucose regulation in healthy, normal-weight middle-aged men and women. Metab Clin Exp. 2007;56(12):1729-1734.
103. Sherman H, Frumin I, Gutman R, Chapnik N, Lorentz A, Meylan J, et al. Long‐term restricted feeding alters circadian expression and reduces the level of inflammatory and disease markers. J Cell Mol Med. 2011;15(12):2745-2759.
105. Hatori M, Vollmers C, Zarrinpar A, DiTacchio L, Bushong EA, Gill S, et al. Time-restricted feeding without reducing caloric intake prevents metabolic diseases in mice fed a high-fat diet. Cell metabolism. 2012;15(6):848-60.
107. Tsai J, Villegas-Montoya C, Boland BB, Blasier Z, Egbejimi O, Gonzalez R, et al. Influence of dark phase restricted high fat feeding on myocardial adaptation in mice. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2013;55:147-155.
108. Belkacemi L, Selselet-Attou G, Louchami K, Sener A, Malaisse WJ. Intermittent fasting modulation of the diabetic syndrome in sand rats. II. In vivo investigations. Int J Mol Med. 2010;26(5):759-765.
110. Satoh Y, Kawai H, Kudo N, Kawashima Y, Mitsumoto A. Time-restricted feeding entrains daily rhythms of energy metabolism in mice. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2006 May;290(5):R1276-1283.
111. Salgado-Delgado R, Angeles-Castellanos M, Saderi N, Buijs RM, Escobar C. Food intake during the normal activity phase prevents obesity and circadian desynchrony in a rat model of night work. Endocrinology. 2010;151(3):1019-1029.
112. Farooq N, Priyamvada S, Arivarasu N, Salim S, Khan F et al. Influence of Ramadan-type fasting on enzymes of carbohydrate metabolism and brush border membrane in small intestine and liver of rat used as a model. Br J Nutr. 2006;96(06):1087-1094.
113. Belkacemi L, Selselet-Attou G, Hupkens E, Nguidjoe E, Louchami K, Sener A, et al. Intermittent fasting modulation of the diabetic syndrome in streptozotocin-injected rats. Int J Endocrinol. 2012;2012:962012.
115. Nematy M, Alinezhad-Namaghi M, Rashed MM, Mozhdehifard M, Sajjadi SS, Akhlaghi S, et al. Effects of Ramadan fasting on cardiovascular risk factors: a prospective observational study. Nutrition journal. 2012;11(1): 69.
116. LeCheminant JD, Christenson E, Bailey BW, Tucker LA. Restricting night-time eating reduces daily energy intake in healthy young men: a short-term cross-over study. Br J Nutr. 2013;110(11):2108-13.
117. Adlouni A, Ghalim N, Benslimane A, Lecerf J, Saile R. Fasting during Ramadan induces a marked increase in high-density lipoprotein cholesterol and decrease in low-density lipoprotein cholesterol. Annals of nutrition and metabolism. 1997;41(4):242-9.
121. Ravanshad S, Salehi Dehpagani M. Effect of fasting on serum glucose, lipids and ketone bodies concentration during Ramadan in Arsenjan, Iran. Iranian Red Crescent Medical Journal. 1999, 2: 23-26.
122. Pamplona R, Barja G. Mitochondrial oxidative stress, aging and caloric restriction. The protein and methionine connection. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA)-Bioenergetics. 2006;1757(5):496-508.
123. Caro P, Gomez J, Sanchez I, Garcia R, López-Torres M, Naudí A, et al. Effect of 40% restriction of dietary amino acids (except methionine) on mitochondrial oxidative stress and biogenesis, AIF and SIRT1 in rat liver. Biogerontology. 2009;10(5):579-92.
124. Bloomer RJ, Kabir MM, Trepanowski JF, Canale RE, Farney TM. A 21 day Daniel Fast improves selected biomarkers of antioxidant status and oxidative stress in men and women. Nutrition & metabolism. 2011;8(1):17.
125. Trepanowski JF, Kabir MM, Alleman RJ, Bloomer RJ. A 21-day Daniel fast with or without krill oil supplementation improves anthropometric parameters and the cardiometabolic profile in men and women. Nutrition & metabolism. 2012;9(1):82.
127. Bloomer RJ, Kabir MM, Canale RE, Trepanowski JF, Marshall KE, Farney TM, et al. Effect of a 21 day Daniel Fast on metabolic and cardiovascular disease risk factors in men and women. Lipids in health and disease. 2010;9(1):9-94.
129. Dansinger ML, Gleason JA, Griffith JL, Selker HP, Schaefer EJ. Comparison of the Atkins, Ornish, Weight Watchers, and Zone diets for weight loss and heart disease risk reduction: a randomized trial. JAMA. 2005;293(1):43-53.
130. Nordstrand N, Gjevestad E, Hertel J, Johnson L, Saltvedt E, Røislien J, et al. Arterial stiffness, lifestyle intervention and a low‐calorie diet in morbidly obese patients—A nonrandomized clinical trial. Obesity. 2013;21(4):690-7.
131. Danielsen KK, Svendsen M, Mæhlum S, Sundgot-Borgen J. Changes in body composition, cardiovascular disease risk factors, and eating behavior after an intensive lifestyle intervention with high volume of physical activity in severely obese subjects: a prospective clinical controlled trial. Journal of obesity. 2013;2013: 325464